Reduction on the grounds of disability

Who qualifies as a disabled person?

For Council Tax purposes, a disabled person is someone who is substantially and permanently disabled, whether by illness, injury, congenital deformity or otherwise. A blind person may qualify as long as they fulfil the criteria outlined below.

What form does the reduction take?

The reduction takes the form of a rebanding of the dwelling to one band below that shown in the valuation list. If your property is in band A, the reduction equates to one-ninth of the band D charge.

Does the property have to contain any special features to qualify?

Yes. The property in which the disabled person lives must contain one or more of the following features which is essential or of major importance to the well-being of the disabled person:

(a) a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet, which is mainly used for the treatment or care of the disabled person because of the nature and extent of their disability, or

(b) an additional bathroom or kitchen which is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person, or

(c) sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair, needed indoors by the disabled person.

When considering whether a reduction should apply, the Council will have to decide whether the person with the disability would find it impossible or extremely difficult to live in the dwelling, or their health would suffer, or the disability would become more severe, if the room or extra feature were not available in the dwelling.

What evidence has to be provided?

It will help to speed up the Council's decision if the applicant is able to enclose a certificate or note from some suitably qualified person, such as a person giving treatment or a social worker, which states that because of the person's disability it is considered that the room or extra feature in the applicant's home, upon which the reduction is claimed, is necessary. If for any reason you are unable to obtain such certificate or note easily, please do not delay your application. The Council will still be prepared to consider it in any case. However, we may subsequently need to ask for evidence in support of you application.

Does the disabled person have to be an adult?

No. Providing the disabled person lives in the property and it contains one or more of the above features, then a reduction may be given whatever the age of the disabled person.

Who must make the application?

The application must be made by a person who is liable to pay the Council Tax. This may or may not be the disabled person.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Microsoft Word formatDisabled Relief application form in Word format35 Kb5 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ