Licence - riding establishment


A licence is required if horses are kept for hiring out for riding or used for instruction in return for payment. Licences are renewed annually following a satisfactory report from an independent veterinary inspection. For more information see General Licence Conditions.
There is a charge for the licence.

Legislation and guidance

Riding Establishments Act 1964
Riding Establishments Act 1970
Horses/Protective Headgear for Young Riders) Regulations 1992
HSG105 - Horse Riding Establishments (ISBN 0 780717 606320)


Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Microsoft Word formatForm of Application for a Licence to Run a Riding Establishment in Word format59 Kb8 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerForm of Application for a Licence to Run a Riding Establishment in PDF format112 Kb16 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ