Responsible Authorities

These are mainly public bodies which must be fully notified of applications and that are entitled to make representations to the Licensing Authority in relation to the application for the grant, variation or review of a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate or for the issue of a provisional statement.  All representations made by these authorities are relevant if they concern the effect of the application on the licensing objectives. These authorities include:-
  • The Chief Officer of Police;·           
  • The local Fire Authority;           
  • The relevant enforcing authority under the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (for local authorities and other public buildings please consult the Health and Safety Executive and for remaining premises please consult the Local Authority Environmental Health Department);
  • Environmental Health Authority (Environmental Protection Team);
  • Planning Authority;
  • Trading Standards;
  • Director of Public Health; 
  • Any body representing those who are responsible for, or interested in, matters relating to the protection of children from harm and is recognised by the Licensing Authority for that area as being competent to advise it on such matters; and
  • the relevant licensing authority and any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is situated.

Please note that with effect from 6 April 2017 the Home Office (Immigration Enforcement) became a responsible authority but only for applications for the sale of alcohol and/or late night refreshment. They must be notified of applications for new premises, transfers of premises licence holders, full variations (not Minor Variations) and interim authority notices. Please do not send any applications to them for entertainment only applications or anything relating to club premises certificates or Temporary Event Notices. 

Other Persons  

Any individual, body or business entitled to make representations to licensing authorities in relation to applications for the grant, variation, minor variation or review of premises licences and club premises certificates, regardless of their geographical proximity to the premises. Any representation must be "relevant" in that it relates to one or more of the licensing objectives. To be valid it must be not be considered by the licensing authority as being frivolous or vexatious. If it is for a review it must not be repetitious.

Whilst a person can act in their own right, they may also request that a representative makes the representation to the licensing authority on their behalf. This may include a legal representative, a friend, a Member of Parliament or a local ward or parish councillor. 


Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Microsoft Word formatResponsible Authorities in Word format312 Kb45 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ