Noise level measurements

Noise pollution

We investigate complaints of alleged noise nuisance and take action where appropriate in accordance with a noise enforcement policy. Noise nuisance can be caused by industry, trade and domestic premises. Noise becomes a nuisance when it is loud, persistent, frequent or repetitive and if it affects a person's lifestyle or prevents sleep.

If you are disturbed by noise you should in the first instance tactfully approach the person or business causing the noise and explain the situation. If this does not improve the noise you may contact us either for advice or to investigate the complaint on your behalf. You will need to provide the Council with your name and address, details of the noise, when and how long the noise occurs, how the noise affects you and anything done to try and deal with the problem. After gathering information a decision will be made on the best way to continue the investigation.

If noise monitoring verifies that a noise nuisance exists the Council will write formally to the person causing the nuisance or may serve a legal Abatement Notice requiring the noise nuisance to be stopped.

You can report noise problems using the pollution and noise report electronic form below. Electronic forms are also available to make complaints about noise and other problems at licensed premises or licensed gambling premises.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ